Hingston Tree HA
Descendants of John Hingston of West Alvington born about 1675
This completely replaces older versions of Trees HA, HB, HE and HG, and has been completely renumbered. Please discard older versions
29 March 2004 - Chris Burgoyne
This is a large and complex tree made up of two parts. The first five generations are the descendants of 37. Henry Hingston who married in 1567 in West Alvington. This is almost entirely derived from the work of WEH. His line ended with Jonah (1895) annd Jonas (1919) who I believe to be the same person (2. Jonah here).
Two of Jonah's children were Thomas and William. For many years I was uncertain about the ancestors of 3. William Hingston and 4. Thomas Hingston in Aveton Gifford, two of my grandmother Florrie Clark's ancestors. I searched many of the local parishes, starting with those where I knew there were many Hingstons, but I eventually found two suitable candidates in West Alvington, where there was a large community of Hingstons I had not previously suspected. This line now includes all three of the links to Florrie Clark, and also the descendants of Mary Hanniford. Together these constitute trees that I used to call HA, HB, HE and HG; they have all been renumbered. Thomas and William must have moved to Aveton Gifford which is only about 4 miles from West Alvington. All the subsequent families are descendants of one or other of these, and WEH's study agrees with (and extends) what I had already shown in theis tree. There is one place where WEH's logic disagrees with mine (as discussed below in Generation 6) but the effect on the subsequent trees is limited.
There is one indirect reference to West Alvington in the Vine Tree (No. 749), and another in Allen and Dymond (No. 7), the latter which shows a link back to the Holbeton Hingstons.
There are a total of 329 Hingstons listed here.
Generation No. 1
37. HENRY HINGSTON (1802 in WEH) of West Alvington, married the 28 July 1567 JOAN WHITE and died 12 Sep 1603.
The children of Henry Hingston and Joan White are:
Generation No. 2
38. HUGH HINGSTON (1805 in WEH) of West Alvington, son of 37. Henry Hingston and Joan (White) married MARY and died 4 Mar 1615.
The children of Hugh Hingson and Mary are:
39. ROBERT HINGSTON (1806 in WEH) of West Alvington, son of 37. Henry Hingston and Joan (White), married ELIZABETH and died 8 Mar 1634.
The children of Robert Hingston and Elizabeth are:
40. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1808 in WEH), son of 37. Henry Hingston and Joan (White), married 20 Oct 1607 ANNIE CHARLES.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1828 in WEH) born 23 Aug 1610.
- DANIEL HINGSTON (1829 in WEH) of West Alvington born 10 Oct 1612.
- AGNES HINGSTON (1830 in WEH) born 11 Feb 1615 and died 9 Sep 1619.
- JOSEPH HINGSTON (1831 in WEH) born 20 Dec 1618.
- 44. WILLIAM HINGSTON
Generation No. 3
41. JOHN HINGSTON (1820 in WEH) was born 30 Jul 1583, the son of 38. Hugh Hingston and Mary, married ELIZABETH.
The only child of John Hingston and Elizabeth was :
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1841 in WEH) of West Alvington born 4 Mar 1615 married 19 Oct 1665 to JAMES THORN of Diptford, Devon.
42. JONATHAN HINGSTON (1822 in WEH) of West Alvington born 28 Mar 1595 the son of 38. Hugh Hingston and Mary, and married 4 May 1621 ELIZABETH MATTHEWS. He died 28 June 1662.
The children of Jonathan Hingston and Elizabeth (Matthews) are:
- ISRAEL HINGSTON (1842 in WEH) born at West Alvington 27 Mar 1621, and died 4 Aug, 1624.
- JOHN HINGSTON (1843 in WEH), born 22 Feb 1623.
- ANDREW HINGSTON (1844 in WEH) born 14 Jan 1626, and died 19 Jul 1629.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1845 in WEH) born 6 Jun 1629.
- JONATHAN HINGSTON (1846 in WEH) died 22 Nov 1661.
43. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1823 in WEH) born 9 May 1601, the son of 38. Hugh Hingston and Mary, married to MICHOLL and died 29 Jul 1656.
The children of William Hingston and Micholl are:
63. HENRY HINGSTON (1824 in WEH) born at West Alvington 5 Jan 1607 the son of 39. Robert Hingston and Elizabeth, married ALICE and died 12 Jan 1680.
The children of Henry Hingston and Alice are:
64. HUGH HINGSTON (1825 in WEH) born 4 Oct 1612, the son of 39. Robert Hingston and Elizabeth, married JOICE and died 2 Jul 1684.
The children of Hugh Hingston and Joice are:
- JOHN HINGSTON (1856 in WEH) born 6 Jun 1663 and died 11 Jul 1664.
- JONATHAN HINGSTON (1857 in WEH) born 9 Oct 1666.
- JOICE HINGSTON (1858 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 24 May 1670 and died at Malborough 8 Dec 1695.
65. RICHARD HINGSTON (1827 in WEH) born Nov 1619 the son of 39. Robert Hingston and Elizabeth, married 17 Jun 1658 AGNES, the daughter of JOHN HINGSTON (but it has not yet been identified where he fits into the trees).
The only recorded child of Richard Hingston and Agnes is:
- MARJORY HINGSTON (1854 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 19 Sep 1659. Died 23 Mar 1706.
44. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1832 in WEH) the son of 40. William Hingston and Annie (Charles) married JOAN.
The only child of William Hingston and Annie is:
Generation No. 4
45. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1847 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 2 Jan 1635, the son of 43. William Hingston and Micholl, and married 7 Jul 1663 MARY FAIRWEATHER and died 6 Oct 1675.
The children of William Hingston and Mary are:
- WILLIAM HINGSTON (1859 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 4 Sep 1664, and died 25 Jul 1683, D.S.P.
- JOSEPH HINGSTON (1860 in WEH) born 30 Aug 1675. Married 13 May 1701 ELIZABETH FROUD and died 17 Mar 1748. without issue.
46. NICHOLAS HINGSTON (1849 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 27 Jan 1639, the son of 43. William Hingston and Micholl, Married 4 Nov 1667 ALICE EVORY, and died 4 Nov 1705.
- MICHOL HINGSTON (1861 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 29 Jul 1668. Married 9 Jun 1705, THOMAS SQUIRE of Thurlestone.
- 49. JOHN HINGSTON born 27 Dec 1670 and died 29 Nov 1733.
- WILLIAM HINGSTON (1863 in WEH) Died 11 Jan 1670.
- WILLIAM HINGSTON (1864 in WEH) born 26 Dec 1671 and died 4 Nov 1672.
- MARY HINGSTON (1865 in WEH) born 13 Mar 1673 and died 19 Mar 1673.
- MICHAEL HINGSTON (1866 in WEH) born 14 Apr 1674 and died 12 Aug 1675.
- JAMES HINGSTON (1867 in WEH) born 24 Jun 1675 and died 12 Aug 1675.
- ABIGAIL HINGSTON (1868 in WEH) born 29 Aug 1676. Married 9 Apr 1727 SAMSON PRYOR.
- NICHOLAS HINGSTON (1869 in WEH) born 7 July 1679. Died 16 Apr 1681.
- ELLEN HINGSTON (1870 in WEH) born 24 Nov 1681, died 15 Mar 1683.
47. RICHARD HINGSTON (1850 in WEH) born 6 Mar 1642, the son of 43. William Hingston and Micholl, and died 22 Jul 1712. He married AGNES.
- 50. RICHARD HINGSTON born 22 Mar 1669 and died 7 Aug 1702.
- 1. JOHN HINGSTON born 5 Mar 1672.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1873 in WEH) born 4 Jul 1676 and died 28 Aug 1676.
- WILLIAM HINGSTON (1874 in WEH) born 12 May 1665 and died 3 Jul 1667.
66. HENRY HINGSTON (1852 in WEH) born 3 April, 1642, the son of 63. Henry Hingston and Alice, married 19 Feb 1673 ELIZA BEELE of the same parish (West Alvington), and died 19 Oct 1712.
67. JOHN HINGSTON (1853 in WEH) born 18 Sep 1646, the son of 63. Henry Hingston and Alice, and married MARGARET.
- ALICE HINGSTON (1877 in WEH) born 19 June 1682.
48. DANIEL HINGSTON (1855 in WEH) born 16 Nov 1641, the son of 44. William Hingston and Joan. Married ROSE and died 28 Feb 1689.
- 51. DANIEL HINGSTON born 18 Aug 1668 and died 30 Aug 1732.
- 52. JOHN HINGSTON born 24 Apr 1671 and died 1711.
- THOMAS HINGSTON (1880 in WEH) born 2 Dec 1673 and died 10 Mar 1700.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1881 in WEH) born 22 Aug 1676 and died 29 Aug 1721.
- JOAN HINGSTON (1882 in WEH) born at West Alvington 3 Aug 1679, and married 8 May 1714 NATHANIEL COLES.
- MARGARET HINGSTON (1883 in WEH) born 21 Jul 1681. Died 5 Aug 1681.
- WILLIAM HINGSTON (1884 in WEH) born 18 Nov 1684. Died 20 May 1711.
Generation No. 5
There is scope for mis-interpretation here. There were three John Hingstons having children at the same time in West Alvington (49. John who married Elizabeth; 1.John who married Phillippa and 52. John who married Christian). There are suitable births for the Johns, but it isn't clear which John married which wife (the records simply say things like (John Hingston married ...). WEH decided which was which, but it isn't clear what his justifications were. I have followed his trees here in the absence of better reasoning.
49. JOHN HINGSTON (1862 in WEH) born 27 Dec 1670, the son of 46. Nicholas Hingstons and Alice (Evory), married ELIZABETH and died 29 Nov. 1733.
The children of John Hingston and Elizabeth are:
- JOHN HINGSTON (1885 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 22 Nov 1702 and died 22 Feb 1730.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1886 in WEH) 9 Jul 1704, and married the 9 Jan 1721 THOMAS PAINE.
- NICHOLAS HINGSTON (1887 in WEH) born 21 Oct 1705. Died 26 Feb 1718.
- SARAH HINGSTON (1888 in WEH) born 25 Sep 1708.
- MARY HINGSTON (1889 in WEH) born 25 Nov 1711, and died 18 Sep 1742.
50. RICHARD HINGSTON (1871 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 22 Mar 1669 the son of 47. Richard Hingston and Agnes. Married ELIZABETH and died 7 Aug 1702.
The children of Richard Hingston and Elizabeth are:
- THOMAS HINGSTON (1890 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 14 Jan 1700, and died 4 Sep 1712.
- AGNES HINGSTON (1891 in WEH) born 20 Jul 1701. Died 20 Oct 1701.
1. JOHN HINGSTON (1872 in WEH), who says that he was born 5 Mar 1672, the son of 47. Richard Hingston and Agnes. He married PHILLIPPA who was buried 12 Apr 1711 in West Alvington.
Children of JOHN HINGSTON and PHILLIPPA are:
- JOHN HINGSTON, baptised 20 Oct 1700, West Alvington and died 31 Aug 1712.
- 53. THOMAS HINGSTON, baptised 29 Apr 1703, West Alvington.
- RICHARD HINGSTON, baptised 11 Nov 1705, West Alvington.
- 2. JONAS (or JONAH) HINGSTON, baptised 20 Nov 1707, West Alvington.
68. HENRY HINGSTON (1876 in WEH) of West Alvington, the son of 66. Henry Hingston and Eliza (Beele) married SUSANNA.
The children of Henry Hingston and Susanna are:
- HENRY HINGSTON (1896 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 25 Apr 1709 and died 15 Mar 1720.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1897 in WEH) born 13 Jun 1716. Died 15 Nov 1751.
- SUSANNA HINGSTON (1931 in WEH) married the 29 Jul 1739 to THOMAS GRINT.
51. DANIEL HINGSTON (1878 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 18 Aug 1668 the son of 48. Daniel Hingston and Rose. He married MARGARET and died 30 Aug 1732.
The only child of Daniel Hingston and Margaret was:
- DANIEL HINGSTON (1905 in WEH) of West Alvington. Died 28 November 1779.
52. JOHN HINGSTON (1879 in WEH) born 24 Apr 1671 the son of 48. Daniel Hingston and Rose, and died 1711. He was married to CHRISTIAN.
The children of John Hingston and Christian are:
- JOHN HINGSTON (1898 in WEH) of West Alvington, born 28 Sep 1697, and died 28 May 1770. He married ALICE but they had no children.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1899 in WEH) born 26 Mar 1699 and died 16 Apr 1701.
- DANIEL HINGSTON (1900 in WEH) born 13 Oct 1700.
- JANE HINGSTON (1901 in WEH) born 18 Jun 1704 and died 6 Jun 1707.
- FRANCIS HINGSTON (1902 in WEH) born 28 Jul 1706 and died 10 Nov 1729.
- JANE HINGSTON (1903 in WEH) born 28 Mar 1708. Died 5 Aug 1712.
- ROBERT HINGSTON (1904 in WEH) born 26 Aug 1711. Died 2 Feb 1712.
Generation No. 6
53. THOMAS HINGSTON (1893 in WEH) born 29 Apr 1703, the son of 1. John Hingston and Phillippa, and married 16 Mar 1722 to WILMOT WOTTEN.
The only recorded child of Thomas Hingston and Wilmot is:
- GRACE HINGSTON (1909 in WEH) born 24 Jul 1722 and married 10 Jan 1744 to CHARLES EDWARDS.
2. JONAS (or JONAH) HINGSTON (WEH regarded them as separate - Jonas 1919 and Jonah 1895) was baptised 20 Nov 1707 in West Alvington, the son of 1. John Hingston and Phillippa, and was buried 12 Feb 1780 in West Alvington (WEH notes that he was very poor). At his baptism his name is quoted as Jonah, but in later entries it is shown as Jonas (in one case, with Jonah crossed out). He seems to have married twice. Firstly he married MARY LYDSTONE on 7 Feb 1740 at South Huish (IGI); their daughter, also MARY, was baptised in 1741, but both Marys seem to have died within the next six months (there were three burials of Mary Hingstons between Aug 1741 and Sep 1742). He married, secondly, AMY FORDE 6 Jun 1743 in West Alvington. She was buried 23 May 1791 in West Alvington, when she was described as a pauper.
Child of JONAS HINGSTON and MARY is:
- MARY HINGSTON (1910 in WEH) baptised 14 Jun 1741, West Alvington; d. Abt. 1741, West Alvington.
Children of JONAS HINGSTON and AMY FORDE are:
- MARY HINGSTON (1920 in WEH), baptised 3 Jul 1744, West Alvington.
- 4. THOMAS HINGSTON (1921 in WEH) b. May 1746, West Alvington.
- JOHN HINGSTON (1922 in WEH), baptised 1 Nov 1748, West Alvington.
- 3. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1923 in WEH) b. Feb 1750/51, West Alvington; d. Mar 1821, Aveton Gifford.
- JONAS HINGSTON (1924 in WEH) baptised 20 Mar 1753, West Alvington.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1925 in WEH) baptised 27 Jul 1755, West Alvington; buried 31 Mar 1758, West Alvington.
- JANE HINGSTON (1926 in WEH) baptised 8 May 1759, West Alvington.
This is where WEH's line stops but I believe his 1921 Thomas is the same person as his 1500 Thomas (HA#2 here) and his 1923 William is the same person as his 1479 William (HA#3 here).
Generation No. 7
4. THOMAS HINGSTON (1500 in WEH) was born May 1746 in West Alvington, the son of 2. Jonas Hingston and Amy Forde. He married LYDIA ELLIOT 20 Jul 1767 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of Nicholas Elliot and Lydia. She was born 21 Mar 1748 (OS) and was baptised at Aveton Gifford on 7 Apr 1749.
Children of Thomas Hingston and Lydia Elliot are:
- JOHN HINGSTON (1501 in WEH) born 28 Dec 1767 and baptised 26 Jan 1768 Aveton Gifford; buried 29 Jan 1843, Aveton Gifford (aged 75); m. JOAN HILL, 20 Jan 1789, Aveton Gifford. She was baptised 11 Mar 1764 at Aveton Gifford.
- JANE HINGSTON (1502 in WEH) born 24 Jan 1770 and baptised 28 Feb 1770 Aveton Gifford; buried 10 Mar 1828, Aveton Gifford.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1503 in WEH) born 16 Mar 1773 and baptised 12 Apr 1773 Aveton Gifford. WEH shows her being buried 24 Jun 1858.
- 54. WILLIAM HINGSTON born 3 Mar 1776 and died 27 May 1846
- 6. NICHOLAS HINGSTONE, b. Jan 1779, Aveton Gifford; d. Nov 1848, Aveton Gifford.
- ANN HINGSTONE (1506 in WEH) baptised 18 Feb 1781, Aveton Gifford; m. JOHN WALDRON, 17 May 1803, Aveton Gifford; he was baptised 25 Apr 1779, Aveton Gifford.
There is a difference between what we show here and WEH's work. There were in Aveton Gifford at the same time two John Hingstons
- John (1501 in WEH) the son of 4. Thomas (1500 in WEH) and Lydia born 1768
- John (1493 in WEH) the son of 3. William (1479 in WEH) and Judith Whidon born 1777.
There were two marriages of John Hingstons in the following years
- To Joan Hill in 1789 (not shown by WEH)
- To Elizabeth Hext in 1797.
1493 John would only have been 12 in 1789, so I presume that it must have been 1501 John who married Joan, leaving 1493 John to marry Ellizabeth Hext. This is the listing shown in Tree HA, whereas WEH shows 1501 marrying Elizabeth and doesn't include the marriage of Joan. I conclude that WEH was mistaken. - CJB
3. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1479 in WEH) was baptised 17 Feb 1750 (OS) in West Alvington, the son of 2. Jonas Hingston and Amy Forde, and buried 7 Mar 1821 in Aveton Gifford (when he was described as aged 74). He married JUDITH WHIDON 30 Aug 1776 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of JOHN WHIDDON and MARY. She was born 6 Mar 1751 (OS) in Aveton Gifford, and was buried 6 May 1813 in Aveton Gifford (aged 66). At the wedding they both signed the register - the witnesses were Richard Dunning and Henry Bastard.
Children of William Hingston and Judith Whidon were:
- 5. JOHN HINGSTON b. Aug 1777, Aveton Gifford; d. Jan 1846, Aveton Gifford.
- WILLIAM HINGSTON (not listed by WEH) baptised 5 Oct 1779, Aveton Gifford.
- PRUDENCE HINGSTON (1494 in WEH) baptised 28 Mar 1782, Aveton Gifford and was buried 16 Nov 1854 (aged 72). She married JAMES PUTTAVEN, alias CLARK 17 Oct 1815 in Aveton Gifford, son of Thomas Puttaven and Elizabeth Stayll. The Puttaven/Clark family originally came from Buckfastleigh. The use of the name Puttaven alias Clark, or Clark alias Puttaven seems to have gone on for about 150 years - the early names tend to give Puttaven priority, the later ones Clark. Prudence and James had three children; Richard Clark (1817); Edward Clark (1819) who later married Mary Burgoyne, who was some 20 years his senior, and William Hingston Clark (1822) whose son William (1866) married CAROLINE ELSTON HINGSTON (below).
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1495 in WEH) baptised 5 Dec 1784, Aveton Gifford. She married 20 April 1821 to JOHN SPINNAY at Aveton Gifford.
- TEMPERANCE HINGSTON (1496 in WEH) baptised 10 Jun 1787, Aveton Gifford; m. ROGER RAMSHIRE, 3 Mar 1813, East Stonehouse. He was a marine but this was during the Napoleonic wars so we don't know what happened to him later.
- AMY HINGSTON (1497 in WEH) born 21 Nov 1790.
- JANE HINGSTON ( 1498 in WEH) born 30 Mar 1794 and died 13 May 1798.
- MARY HINGSTON, baptised 11 Jun 1797, Aveton Gifford; buried 1 Apr 1798, Aveton Gifford.
Generation No. 8
54. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1504 in WEH) born 3 Mar 1776 the son of 4. Thomas Hingston and his wife Lydia (Elliot), and died 27 May 1846 (aged 66) and buried at Loddiswell 30 May 1846, and was married 4 Sep 1801 to MARY LUCKHAM of Loddiswell; she was buried 17 Jun 1848 at Loddiswell when she was described as being of Wisly (= Wizaller?).
6. NICHOLAS HINGSTONE (1505 in WEH) was baptised 30 Jan 1779 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 4. Thomas Hingston and his wife Lydia (Elliot), and died Nov 1848 in Aveton Gifford. He was a labourer. He married MARY HANNIFORD in Modbury on 20 May 1803. She was probably born in Churchstow in about 1782 (according to her age in the 1851 census).
- JANE (JENNY) HINGSTON (1303 in WEH) Bapt. 25 Dec 1801 at Loddiswell. Married 23 Jan 1823 JAMES YALLAND at Loddiswell. She died on 18 Jan 1884 in Loddiswell, from "cancer of the heart". There were offspring from whom Durlene Germscheid is descended.
- 56. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1301 in WEH) (1803-1868)
- 69. JOHN HINGSTON (1302 in WEH) Bapt. 15 Dec 1805 at Loddiswell.
- REBECCA HINGSTON (twin) Bapt. 30 Jan 1808 at Loddiswell but was buried there on 3 Feb 1808.
- SUSANNAH HINGSTON (twin) Bapt. 30 Jan 1808 at Loddiswell but was buried there on 5 Mar 1809.
This relationship is a little tenuous. It is based on the known births of the children and the absence of any other suitable candidate. The births of the children are unexpectedly late - Nicholas would have been 37 when the eldest was born. One possibility is that Nicholas was in the forces - this being the time of the Napoleonic Wars - either in the Army or the Navy, and returned home when the war ended after the Battle of Waterloo in 1815.
It is further complicated by the birth to a Mary Hingston of an illegitimate son Richard Hannaford Hingston in 1811. There is no obvious candidate to be an unmarried Mary Hingston. The DFHS Marriage Index shows a marriage in 1814 between Richard Hannaford, butcher of East Stonehouse and Elizabeth (sic) Hingston of Thurlestone, but I have now concluded that that event is a complete red herring and has nothing to do with this family. This tree is based on the assumption that Nicholas and Mary were married before he went off to war. Mary remained and had her son, who was baptised with her married name (which explains why I cannot find a suitable Mary Hingston as a child) after which Nicholas returned from war and their daughters were born. What is needed is some evidence from later records which shows parentage of these children. The descendants of Richard Hanniford Hingston are not strictly descendents of this line, although they derive their name from this source so are included here for convenience.
Child of Mary Hingston is:
Children of Nicholas Hingstone and Mary are:
5. JOHN HINGSTON (1501 in WEH where his date of birth and parents are wrong - see discussion above) was baptised 3 Aug 1777 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 3. William Hingston and Judith (Whidon) and was buried 12 Jan 1846 in Aveton Gifford (aged 69). He married ELIZABETH HEXT 2 Jul 1797 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of Robert Hext and Grace. They both made a mark and both were described as being of Aveton Gifford. The witnesses were Benj. Searle, John Crimp and Mary Bardons. There is no suitable Elizabeth Hext born in AG but I am fairly certain she is the Elizabeth Hext who was baptised 21 Jan 1776 at South Brent. In the 1851 census she was living with her son Thomas in the Old Poor House (now the school) in Aveton Gifford and described as having been born at Brent. This link is thus not absolutely sure but the circumstantial evidence for 5. John being the father of 11. Thomas is compelling. Elizabeth is probably the one who was buried at Aveton Gifford on 24 Jun 1858, aged 86, but there are several other Elizabeth Hingstons whose deaths were registered in the Kingsbridge district in the 1850s.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTONE (1514 in WEH) b. Dec 1816, Aveton Gifford; d. Apr 1836, Aveton Gifford.
- 13. CHARLOTTE HINGSTONE, baptised 14 May 1820, Aveton Gifford, and was buried Jan 1877 in Aveton Gifford.
- 14. WILLIAM HINGSTONE, b. Jan 1823, Aveton Gifford.
Children of John Hingston and Elizabeth Hext are:
- 7. JOHN HINGSTON b. Oct 1797, Aveton Gifford died 23 Nov 1882.
- MARY HINGSTON (1508 in WEH), baptised 18 Jan 1801, Aveton Gifford, married JOSEPH NORTHMORE 13 Oct 1823 at East Stonehouse..
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1509 in WEH) baptised 30 Jan 1803, Aveton Gifford.
- JANE HINGSTON (1510 in WEH) baptised 13 Jan 1805, Aveton Gifford.WEH shows her as marrying PHILIP STONE on 24 Jan 1830 at Plymouth St Andrew.
- 8. ROBERT HINGSTON b. Jan 1807, Aveton Gifford; d. Sep 1850, Aveton Gifford; m. MARY ANN MARCH, 29 Apr 1829, Woodleigh.
- 9. WILLIAM HINGSTON b. Dec 1809, Aveton Gifford; m. MARY LETHBRIDGE, 28 Dec 1841, Churchstow.
- SARAH HINGSTON (1512 in WEH) baptised 22 Dec 1811, Aveton Gifford; m. JOHN FORD, 14 Apr 1833, Woodleigh and died March 1897.
- 10. GEORGE HINGSTON b. Feb 1814, Aveton Gifford; died Jan 1888.
- 11. THOMAS HINGSTON b. 18 Dec 1816, Aveton Gifford.
Generation No. 9
56. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1301 in WEH) Farmer of Loddiswell, Bapt. 25 Dec 1803 at Loddiswell, the son of 54. William Hingston and Mary (Luckham). He married about 5 Aug 1829 at Loddiswell JOANNA PROWSE and died 17 February 1868.
- WILLIAM HINGSTON (1305 in WEH) a farmer, born at Loddiswell 16 Dec 1830, married MARY ANN STRANGER, died without issue 7 May 1888.
- 58. JOHN HINGSTON. Born 27 Jul 1834.
- HENRY HINGSTON (1306 in WEH) born 7 Apr 1838.
- ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON (1307 in WEH) born 30 Jul 1844 (FreeBMD shows 1843), died 2 Jun 1893.
- MARY ANN HINGSTON (1308 in WEH) born 4 Nov 1848 and married to Mr GODSMARK of Loddiswell at Dover Jun Qtr 1874.
- JANE HINGSTON (1309 in WEH) (possibly born Jun Qtr 1850) married THOMAS PARSONS of Loddiswell in Newton Abbot Sep Q 1874.
- CHARLOTTE HINGSTON (1310 in WEH) (no obvious entry in FreeBMD) married EDWARD BROWN of Loddiswell, possibly at Farnham in Jun Q 1870.
69. JOHN HINGSTON (1302 in WEH) Bapt. 15 Dec 1805 at Loddiswell, the son of 54. William Hingston and Mary (Luckham). He married PEGGY PARKER 23 Jun 1831 at Plymouth Charles. In the 1871 census he was described as a carpenter in a soap works.
N.B. There was another Hingston/Parker marriage in 1830 (Tree HD#35) and they were also having children in Plymouth at about this time, so there is the potential for confusion.
Peggy died in 1860 and John married secondly JANE COOMBES in Mar Qtr 1864. He was then a carpenter living in Belmont Street and his father was listed as William, a labourer. The 1861 census lists John as a Carpenter, born Loddiswell.
The children of John Hingston and Peggy include:-
- ELIZABETH PATIENCE HINGSTON, bapt 11 Dec 1831 at Plymouth Charles
- PATIENCE PARKER HINGSTON, bapt 11 Nov 1832 at Plymouth Chalres, died 1834
- MARY JANE HINGSTON, bapt 15 Dec 1833 at Plymouth Charles
- SUSAN HINGSTON, bapt 20 Sep 1835 at Plymouth Charles
- 70. WILLIAM HENRY HINGSTON born 1837
- EDWARD JAMES HINGSTON bapt 10 Mar 1839 at Plymouth Charles, died 1843
- JOSEPH JOHN PARKER HINGSTON born 1841
12. RICHARD HANNAFORD HINGSTON (1517 in WEH) was born 15 Oct 1811 and baptised 22 Oct 1811 in Aveton Gifford, and died 17 Sep 1901 in Aveton Gifford. He was described as the base child of Mary Hingston, but the only Mary I can find of the right age is the wife of 6. Nicholas Hingston, who I assume was away serving in the Napoleonic Wars at the time. This reading of the situation is not certain, however. Richard married MARY HARWOOD 10 Jul 1836 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of ROGER HARWOOD. She was born Abt. 1811 in Bigbury, and died 5 Dec 1880 in Aveton Gifford. They are buried together at Aveton Gifford - her MI says Mary, wife of Richard Hingston aged 78 (i.e. born 1802); his says Husband of above, age 89. He was a labourer - in 1851 they were living at Ashford; the children were born at Bigbury.
Children of RICHARD HINGSTON and MARY HARWOOD are:
13. CHARLOTTE HINGSTONE (1515 in WEH) baptised 14 May 1820, Aveton Gifford, the daughter of 6. Nicholas Hingstone and Mary (Hanniford), and was buried 1 Feb 1877 in Aveton Gifford (age 56). She married JAMES SEWARD ELSON 2 Aug 1840 in Parish Church, Stoke Damerel. He was baptised 10 Oct 1817 in Stokeinteignhead, the son of William Elson and Joanna Seward. He was an agricultural labourer. He was buried 15 Nov 1885 in Aveton Gifford (age 66).
- ELIZABETH ANN HINGSTON (1527 in WEH) born 5 Oct 1837, Clanaborough and baptised 22 Oct 1837, Aveton Gifford.
- MARY JANE HANNIFORD HINGSTON (1528 in WEH) born 13 Feb 1840, Clanaborough, baptised 8 Mar 1840, Aveton Gifford (no obvious entry in FreeBMD).
- 18. WILLIAM RICHARD HINGSTON, b. Jul 1842, Clanaborough; d. 9 May 1922, Aveton Gifford.
- 19. JOHN HENRY HINGSTON, b. Mar 1845, Ashford.
Children of CHARLOTTE HINGSTONE and JAMES ELSON are:
14. WILLIAM HINGSTONE (1516 in WEH) was born Jan 1823 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 6. Nicholas Hingstone and Mary (Hanniford) and died Bef. 1858. He married MARY SIBLEY 13 Oct 1851 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of ISAAC SIBLEY, a marine. In 1851 he was described as a sailor, but he was a labourer when their daughter was christened. His death is not recorded at AG but she remarried there to JOHN HOON, a sailor from the Isle of Wight, so presumably he died away, possibly at sea. This was, however, the time of the Crimean War, so it is possible he died on service there.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTONE ELSON, born 26 Nov 1840 and baptised 26 Dec 1840 Aveton Gifford. She married 17. GEORGE HINGSTON 18 Mar 1861 in Aveton Gifford, son of 11. Thomas Hingston and Ann Cowley. He was born 27 Jan 1841 in Modbury, and died Jul 1930 in Aveton Gifford. Their children are listed above under George Hingston.
- JOSEPH JAMES ELSON, b. May 1846, Aveton Gifford.) was born May 1846 in Aveton Gifford. He married SARAH JANE HINGSTON 24 Jan 1874 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of 11. Thomas Hingston and Ann Cowley. Thus, a brother and sister married a sister and a brother, each pair being third cousins. Sarah was baptised 16 Jul 1848 in Aveton Gifford. James was a mason. Their children were WILLIAM GEORGE HINGSTON ELSON, b. Jun 1874, Aveton Gifford, also a mason, who married ELIZABETH ANN SANDOVER, 25 Dec 1897, Aveton Gifford; JAMES THOMAS ELSON, baptised 28 Nov 1875, Aveton Gifford; ROSINA JANE ELSTON, born 27 Mar 1877, Aveton Gifford and baptised there on 24 Aug 1877, and CAROLINE ELIZABETH ELSON, baptised 10 Aug 1879, Aveton Gifford.
- MARY ANN ELSON, baptised 24 Jun 1855. She married GEORGE WILLIAM SAUNDERS RUTH, a mason, son of CHARLES RUTH, on 17 Jul 1875 in Aveton Gifford, . He was born Abt. 1853. They appear to have had a child before they were married, who was baptised as GEORGE WILLIAM RUTH ELSTON at Aveton Gifford on 30 Nov 1873.
Child of WILLIAM HINGSTONE and MARY SIBLEY is:
- ROSINA SIBLEY HINGSTONE, baptised 22 Aug 1852 (there was a marriage of.
7. JOHN HINGSTON (1507 in WEH) baptised 7 Oct 1797 at Aveton Gifford, the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext). He married GRACE TERRY, 12 Dec 1817, Bigbury, with consent of parents (since he was under-age at the time). She was buried 15 Feb 1862 at Bigbury, age 72, so was born about 1790. In the 1851 census they were living in Bigbury - he was described as an agricultural labourer - she was described as being born in Bigbury.
The children of John Hingston and Grace Terry are:-
- 57. PHILIP TERRY HINGSTON, baptised Jul 1818 at Bigbury. He married ELIZABETH BREND of Bigbury, aged 21, 9 Dec 1844. He was described as a labourer. In the 1851 census they were living at 12 Stoke Lane, Plymouth, St Andrew. He is described as a labourer in a soap factory, aged 36, she was described as a needlewoman, age 25. Both born Bigbury. There were no children living with them.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1609 in WEH) baptised 26 Dec 1821 at Bigbury. In the 1851 census she is living as an unmarried servant at the home of George Lee, a stationer, in Bedford St, Plymouth, St Andrew. She is aged 28
- 15. JOHN HINGSTON.
- 76. WILLIAM HINGSTON baptised 27 Jan 1828 at Bigbury.
8. ROBERT HINGSTON (1555 in WEH) was baptised 1 Feb 1807 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext) and died Sep 1850 in Aveton Gifford. He was buried on 1st Oct 1850, aged 42 having drowned with his son William while fishing. He married MARY ANN MARCH 29 Apr 1829 in Woodleigh. He was described as a labourer but if the link with 16. George is correct he may also have been a mariner at one time. In the 1851 census Mary and her two daughters are living in the Old Poor House.
Children of Robert Hingston and Mary March are:
9. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1511 in WEH) was baptised 3 Dec 1809 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext). He married MARY LETHBRIDGE 28 Dec 1841 in Churchstow, daughter of John Leathbridge and Jane Steer. She was baptised 14 Aug 1814 at Churchstow. In the 1851 census the family is living in the Old Poor House at Aveton Gifford - William is described as an agricultural labourer but was a mariner at the time of his marriage. (Two of the children are shown in the GRO with mother's maiden name of Ellis, while the others are shown with mmn :Lethbridge, but in the 1851 census they are all shown in the same family.)
- 34. JOHN MARCH HINGSTON, baptised 14 Jun 1829, Aveton Gifford.
- 73. ROBERT HICKS HINGSTON bapt at Plymstock 27 May 1832
- WILLIAM HENRY HINGSTON (1560 in WEH) Supposedly born at Aveton Gifford in 1834 but he is a good fit to be the William Henry bap at Plymstock to Robert (Labourer) and Maria, of Turnchapel 21 Sep 1834. He drowned at the same time as his father 1 Oct 1850.
- THOMAS HINGSTON (1557 in WEH) born 5 Oct 1837 (GRO) and baptised 15 Oct 1837, Aveton Gifford.
- 16. GEORGE HINGSTON. Born 7 Jan 1840 Aveton Gifford; d. Jun 1917, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- RICHARD HINGSTON (1558 in WEH) born 23 Apr 1843 (GRO) at Modbury and died 1 Feb 1857.
- MARY JANE HINGSTON (1562 in WEH), baptised 12 Jul 1846 (GRO) , Aveton Gifford and married JAMES STEAR on 26 Sep 1863 at Modbury.
- ELIZABETH ANNE HINGSTON (1561 in WEH) baptised 6 Aug 1848 (GRO), Aveton Gifford and died unmarried in 1867.
Children of William Hingston and Mary Lethbridge are:
10. GEORGE HINGSTON (1513 in WEH) was baptised 6 Feb 1814 in Aveton Gifford, the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext). He married GRACE HURREL, daughter of Sarah in the Dec Qtr, 1840. Grace was born Abt. 1819 in Paignton. In the 1851 census the family are living at Culverhay St, Paignton, where George is described as an Agricultural Labourer. George died Jan 1888.
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1518 in WEH) born 16 Jul 1843 (GRO), Kingsbridge, baptised 17 Sep 1843, Aveton Gifford.
- WILLIAM HINGSTON (not shown in WEH) baptised 1 Jun 1845 (GRO shows mother's maiden name as ELLIS), Aveton Gifford.
- JOHN HINGSTON (1519 in WEH) baptised 7 Mar 1847 (GRO shows mother's maiden name as ELLIS), Aveton Gifford; buried 21 Sep 1848, Aveton Gifford.
- ROBERT HINGSTON (1520 in WEH) baptised 28 Apr 1849 (GRO), Aveton Gifford.
- SARAH HINGSTON (1521 in WEH) baptised 11 Jan 1852 (GRO), Aveton Gifford
- JOHN HINGSTON (1522 in WEH) baptised 25 Dec 1853 (GRO), Aveton Gifford
- THOMAS HINGSTON (1523 in WEH) baptised 28 Sep 1856 (not listed in GRO), Aveton Gifford.
Children of George Hingston and Grace Hurrel are:
11. THOMAS HINGSTON (1206 in WEH) was probably born 1816/17 in Aveton Gifford (WEH says 18 Dec 1816 but he isn't in the AG PRs), the son of 5. John Hingston and Elizabeth (Hext). He was a labourer and married ANN COWLEY, daughter of William Cowley and Elizabeth Purdy, at Modbury on 19 Apr 1840 (certificate); he was shown as a servant, the son of John (labourer), while she was shown as a dressmaker, the daughter of William (mason); the witnesses were John Ford and Eliza Purdy. She was baptised 24 Jan 1813, Modbury.
Thomas used to stand at the head of a separate Tree HE because I was in doubt about his parents. I have still not confirmed the details of his baptism, which is a slight worry since all his siblings were baptised at AG. However, I have sufficient circumstantial evidence to place him here. The 1851 census shows Thomas Hingston age 34, an agricultural labourer, born in Aveton Gifford, so he was born c. 1817. His mother Elizabeth was widowed by 1851, and living with Thomas. She was shown as age 77, so born c. 1774, at Brent. She would have been 43 when Thomas was born, so he could well have been her last child. She was shown in the census as being a former agricultural labourer's wife. I have assumed that she is Elizabeth Hext, who married 5. John Hingston in 1797. There was an Elizabeth Hext baptised at South Brent on 21/1/1776, which would make her 75 at the time of the census, which is not too bad. John was an agricultural labourer. The only other Elizabeth marrying a Hingston shown in the DFHS index is Henry Hingston marrying Elizabeth Stappers at Stoke Damerel, by Licence, in Nov 1816, but he was a quarterman in the dockyard and is a member of Tree HD.
Children of Thomas Hingston and Ann Cowley are:
- 17. GEORGE HINGSTON, born Mar 1841, Modbury; d. Jul 1930, Aveton Gifford.
- THOMAS HINGSTON (1236 in WEH), b. 1 Oct 1843 (GRO), Modbury and died 12 Oct 1899.
- ELIZABETH ANN COWLEY HINGSTON (1524 in WEH), b. 5 Apr 1846 (GRO), Aveton Gifford, married FREDERICK DAVIS (at Plymouth, Sep Qtr 1875).
- SARAH JANE HINGSTON (1540 in WEH) born 28 Jun 1848 (GRO) at Aveton Gifford (certificate dated 19 Jul 1848). Thomas is now described as a labourer. She married JOSEPH JAMES ELSON (her cousin) in Kingsbridge, Mar Qtr 1874.
- JOHN WILLIAM HINGSTON (1525 in WEH), b. Apr 1851 (not in GRO), Aveton Gifford and died 15 Mar 1868.
- 72. ROBERT HINGSTON (1526 in WEH) b. Jul 1854, Aveton Gifford.
Generation No. 10
58. JOHN HINGSTON (1304 in WEH) Farmer of Loddiswell. Born 27 July 1834 the son of 56. William Hingston and Joanna (Prowse). Married 21 July 1857 to SARAH LIDSTONE. WEH reported them both being hail and hearty when he visited them in 1900.
The children of John Hingston and Sarah (Lidstone) are:
- 60. WILLIAM THOMAS HINGSTON born 5 Feb 1858.
- 61. JOHN HINGSTON born 18 Dec 1859.
- GEORGE HINGSTON (1313 in WEH) Farmer of Greystone (The only Greystone I can find is at Drewsteignton which is some way from the South Hams), born 27 Jan 1862 (GRO) and married Jan 1896 RHODA E SAUNDERS of Bigbury. She died the 18 May 1901. He married secondly on the 6 Aug 1901 ELLEN KENNARD of Loddiswell. No children reported.
- SARAH ELLEN HINGSTON (1314 in WEH) born 4 Jan 1864 (GRO) and married Aug 1887 (1885 in FreeBMD) to HENRY HODGE of Loddiswell.
- 62. ALFRED HINGSTONborn 13 Aug 1865.
- THOMAS LIDSTONE HINGSTON (1316 in WEH) born 27 May 1867 (GRO) and died 1 Sep 1867.
- TOM HINGSTON (1317 in WEH) born 28 Aug 1868 (GRO).
- ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON (1318 in WEH) born 8 Nov 1870 (GRO) and married ALBERT BEST of Wellington (There was an Albert Worthy Burt who married an Elizabeth Jane Hingston at Kingsbridge in Dec Qtr 1898).
- ROBERT HINGSTON (1319 in WEH) born 4 Feb 1874 (GRO), (possibly married in Feb 1897 in Steyning, Sussex according to FreeBMD).
- ALBERT HINGSTON (1320 in WEH) born 23 Nov 1876 (GRO). Went to America in 1893 and returned in 1894 to work on his father's farm.
- HENRY HINGSTON (1321 in WEH) born 3 Dec 1879 (GRO) and died 1 July 1884.
- EDWIN HINGSTON (1322 in WEH) born 31 Mar 1883 (GRO) and died 15 July 1884.
70. WILLIAM HENRY HINGSTON. He is probably 99 in WEH. He was born 12 Feb 1837 at Plymouth Charles, the son of 69. John Hingston and Peggy (Parker). John was described as a soap maker, and the family were living at Millbay.
William married MARY ELIZABETH MAGOR in Sep Qtr 1861 in Plymouth (FreeBMD) but they were obviously living together for several years before that since they had three children before the wedding. Mary's mother had been born Dorothy Hooper and had a first marriage to Richard Toy, but he died and she married Samuel Magor, who was Mary's father.
In the GRO index, which lists the mother's maiden name, Mary's name was given as Toye for the children born before the marriage, and Magor for the later children. William and Mary took their 5 surviving children to be baptised at St Peter Parish, Plymouth on the same day (15 Aug 1872). The family were living at 7 Summerland Place, Plymouth and William was described as a Carpenter.
In 1881 census they were at 29 Summerland Place with a grandson William Warren age 3, Emma Griffiths a niece age 14
William and Mary had the following children:-
- ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON born 26 Mar 1857 (in GRO mother's name Toye)
- EMILY HINGSTON born 10 Dec 1858 (not in FreeBMD but in GRO with mother's name Toye) (There was a marriage to George Warren in Mar 1878 which would explain the grandchild but neither parent was not with him).
- FRANCIS HENRY HINGSTON born 6 Mar 1861 (in GRO mother's name Toye) Coach Builder in 1881 with parents. He married LOUISA CHOAKE at Plymouth Jun Qtr 1881. Louisa probably lived until 1940 when she died in Plymouth aged 77.
Louisa was aged 19 in the 1881 census (still unmarried at that time, a tailoress living at 1/2 Union Place, Plymouth.) They had a daughter NELLIE HINGSTON born Mar 1882 (GRO) Plymouth but she seems to have died very soon. Not in the 1891 census but in 1901 Francis H Hingston age 43, Cab driver is living with wife Louisa at 26 Claremont St, no children.
- WILLIAM JOHN HINGSTON born Sep Q 1862 (GRO) (100 in WEH) born 7 Aug 1862 and died 24 May 1865. The mother's name for William and the subsequent children is given a Magor.
- ALFRED EDWARD HINGSTON born Jun Q 1864 (GRO) (presumably died by Aug 1872) (113 in WEH) born Jun 1865 and died 4 Jun 1866
- MARY CLARA HINGSTON born Dec Q 1866 (GRO) (presumably died by Aug 1872) (114 in WEH) born Oct 1866 died 15 Dec 187?.
- 71. WILLIAM JOHN HINGSTON born 1 Nov 1868 (GRO)
- CLARA HINGSTON born 10 Dec 1871 (twin?) (GRO)
- DOROTHEA HINGSTON born Dec 1871 (twin?) (GRO) (presumably died by Aug 1872 since not baptised with the others)
18. WILLIAM RICHARD HINGSTON (1529 in WEH) was born in Clanaborough and baptised at Aveton Gifford on 27 Jul 1842 (GRO), the son of 12. Richard Hannaford Hingston and his wife Mary (Harwood), and died 9 May 1922 in Aveton Gifford (aged 79). MI "Resting". He was a Labourer and married ANN, probably Dec 1865 to Ann Lowrey. She was born Abt. 1843, and died 13 Jan 1910 in Aveton Gifford where she is buried (aged 67).
Child of William Hingston and Ann is:
19. JOHN HENRY HINGSTON (1530 in WEH) was born in Ashford and baptised 30 Mar 1845 at Aveton Gifford (GRO and also GRO), the son of 12. Richard Hannaford Hingston and his wife Mary (Harwood). He was a labourer and married CAROLINE LAVERS 13 Jan 1871 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of WILLIAM LAVERS, a farmer. She signed, he made a mark. 1881 at Galpin St, Modbury. John Hingston, head, age 50 (1831), AG Lab born Aveton Gifford; Ann, 47 (1834) Aveton Gifford; George 8 Modbury; Charles 5 Modbury.
- JESSIE ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1541 in WEH), married on 27 Jun 1899 (GRO) at Aveton Gifford WILLIAM JAMES EDGECOMBE a builder, known as "Little Willy" because he was short; he was the brother of Alan Edgecombe's grandfather, George Henry Edgecombe. She died in 1940.
Children of John Hingston and Caroline are:
- ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON (1531 in WEH), baptised 9 Jul 1871, (GRO) Aveton Gifford and married 22 Oct 1891 (FreeBMD says 1892) to WILLIAM WINSOR.
- 77. GEORGE HENRY LAVERS HINGSTON (1532 in WEH), baptised 13 Oct 1872, Aveton Gifford.
- MARY ANN HINGSTON (1533 in WEH), baptised 1 Jul 1874, (GRO) Aveton Gifford and married WILLIAM JOHN WOOD
- JAMES JOHN HINGSTON (1534 in WEH) baptised 7 Mar 1875 (GRO), Aveton Gifford and died 1 Jun 1875.
- WILLIAM PHILIP HINGSTON (1535 in WEH) born 7 Mar 1876 (GRO) and baptised 7 May 1876 Aveton Gifford; m. FLORENCE DAMARELL in Dec Qtr 1904 in Kingsbridge; d. 12 Aug 1935, Bigbury (MI Beloved husband of Florence. Aged 59)
- CHARLES ALBERT HINGSTON (1536 in WEH), b. 11 Aug 1877 (GRO) and baptised 7 Oct 1877, Aveton Gifford.
- JOHN RICHARD HINGSTON (1542 in WEH) born 18 Dec 1879 (GRO).
- ALFRED ERNEST HINGSTON (1543 in WEH) born 1 Dec 1881 (GRO).
- FREDERICK THOMAS HINGSTON (1544 in WEH) born at Aveton Gifford 20 March 1883 (GRO) and confirmed at Bigbury the 25 Oct 1900.
- EMILY KATE HINGSTON (1545 in WEH) born 22 Sep 1884 (GRO) and died 10 Mar 1887.
- FRANCES GARLAND HINGSTON (1546 in WEH) born at Aveton Gifford 4 Sep 1885 (GRO) and confirmed at Bigbury 27 Oct 1903.
- SIDNEY HINGSTON (1547 in WEH) born at Aveton Gifford 26 Sept 1888 (GRO) and confirmed 27 Oct 1903 at Bigbury. He married KETURAH TAYLOR Sep Qtr 1916 in Kingsbridge District but died on HMS Hood 15 Jun 1920 and is buried at Aabenraa Cemetery in Denmark. Keturah died in 1954 aged 66 in Plymouth.
57. PHILLIP TERRY HINGSTON (1608 in WEH) of Bigbury, born 30 July 1819 the son of 7. John Hingston and Grace (Terry). Married 9 Dec 1844 to ELIZABETH BREND in Kingsbridge District and died 29 Mar 1872.
The children of Philip Hingston and Elizabeth Brend are:
15. JOHN HINGSTON (1610 in WEH) was baptised 6 Mar 1824 at Bigbury, the son of 7. John Hingston and Grace Terry. He married MARY BEER 20 Jul 1849 at Bigbury. He was described as a fisherman of Duke's Mill, Bigbury. She had been born MARY VOYSEY and married Thomas Beer at Bigbury on 26 Sep 1834, with whom she had three children (William Voysey (1834), James Gofs (1837) and John (1839)). Thomas was buried 29 Mar 1841 aged 30 at Bigbury. In the 1851 census John and Mary are living in Bigbury, with their daughter, Mary's mother, two sons of her first marriage, her mother and two Voisy relatives. In a later census Mary is living with her father-in-law but John is lodging in Plymouth. (Updated information here from Ann Holden).
The children of John Hingston and Mary Voysey are:-
- MARY GRACE HINGSTON (1641 in WEH), baptised 27 Jan 1850 (GRO) (baptised as Grace Mary). She married JAMES TOMS at Bigbury 16 Aug 1871 when she was described as being of full age.
- 20. PHILIP TERRY HINGSTON, baptised 11 Apr 1852.
- GEORGE HENRY HINGSTON (1643 in WEH) baptised 27 Nov 1855 (GRO) died 5 Dec 1855 aged 6 months. John was described as a labourer.
76. WILLIAM HINGSTON (1611 in WEH) baptised 27 Jan 1828 at Bigbury, the son of 7. John Hingston and Grace Terry.. In the 1851 census he was unmarried, age 23, living as a servant at Coombe, Bigbury, in the house of Richard Crocker, a farmer. He married MARIA BARNES (or BARDENS) Sep Qtr 1860 in Plymouth. He was a shoemaker.
Their children (listed in the GRO with mother's maiden name Bardens were:-
- FANNY MARIA HINGSTON born Mar Qtr 1861 (GRO) at Plymouth
- CHARLES HENRY BARDENS HINGSTON born Jun Qtr 1864 (GRO) at Plymouth
- JESSIE LAVINIA BARDENS HINGSTON born Dec Qtr 1866 (GRO) at Plymouth
34. JOHN MARCH HINGSTON (1556 in WEH) was baptised 14 Jun 1829, Aveton Gifford, the son of 8. Robert Hingston and Mary Ann (March. He married ANN BASSETT on 26 Oct 1851 at Aveton Gifford. She had been baptised 1 Feb 1835, the daughter of Michael and Jemima (Toope). In the 1851 census he was a lodger at Sandquay Mill, Townstall, Dartmouth, a labourer breaking stone. Most subsequent information about this family from Amanda Curry <email@example.com>.
The children of John March Hingston and Ann Bassett are believed to include:-
- JOHN ROBERT HINGSTON (1564 in WEH), baptised 5 Sep 1852 (GRO) at Aveton Gifford
- ROSINA (ROSE) HINGSTON (1215 in WEH), (born Dec Qtr 1854, (GRO) Kingsbridge District). WEH says she was born 3 Mar 1854 at Modbury but supposedly born at Aveton Gifford. Not bapt AG but supposed to have been born there. Married Mar Qtr 1873 to FRANCIS STEERE at Kingsbridge District.
- WILLIAM GEORGE HINGSTON (1216 in WEH) baptised privately 20 Dec 1857 (GRO) at Aveton Gifford (born previous Qtr)
- ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1218 in WEH who says she was born 28 Jan 1865), born 1859, supposedly at AG but not bapt there (probably the Elizabeth Prescott Hingston born Mar Qtr 1859, Kingsbridge District (GRO)). She presumably died before 1866. She could be the Elizabeth Hingston died Mar Qtr 1865, Kingsbridge District.
- JANE HINGSTON (1217 in WEH who says she was born 13 Mar 1858 and that she married WILLIAM J CRIMP 18 Feb 1882), born 1863, Modbury (Mar Qtr 1864, Kingsbridge District (GRO))
ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1219 in WEH who says she was born 21 Aug 1866) born 1866 (there was an Elizabeth J born Mar Qtr 1866, Kingsbridge District (GRO)).
- 35. RICHARD BASSETT HINGSTON, (born Sep Qtr 1868, Kingsbridge District) Modbury
- ALICE HINGSTON (1221 in WEH) born Mar 24 Feb 1871 (GRO), Kingsbridge District, died Mar Qtr 1872, Kingsbridge District, age 1. Modbury
- GEORGE H. HINGSTON (1222 in WEH) Born 11 Ap 1873 (GRO). He married ROSA, widow of his brother Richard, in Mar Qtr 1923, and there may be children.
- CHARLES HINGSTON (1223 in WEH) Baptised 22 Jan 1875. Probably the Charley Hingston born Dec Qtr 1874 (GRO), Kingsbridge District.
73. ROBERT HICKS HINGSTON bap at Plymstock 27 May 1832 to 8. Robert Hingston and Mary Anne (March) of Hooe, Quarryman. (He is probably 1559 in WEH who said he was born in 1836 and said that he married Eliza Jeffery, but we now believe that she married 72. Robert.) He married CELIA HYNE at Totnes Sep Q 1868. In the 1871 census we was described as 34, Celia 22, no children. By 1881 he was living at Coombe House, Townstal, Dartmouth. Robert Hingston, 48 (1833) Engineer Paint Factory, born Plymstock, Celia 32 born Brixham; Robert 9, born Brixham; William G 7 born Brixham; Matilda 5 born Dartmouth; Celia 2 born Dartmouth.
Note that there are three Georges here, all born 1840/41 (16. George, 27. George Henry, and 17. George), all having descendants, so there is scope for confusion. For various reasons I think I have them the right way round, and my reading agrees with WEH's, who was in communication with at least some of the families. So the reading here is believed to be correct and seems to accord with memories in the various families.
16. GEORGE (HEXT) HINGSTON (1563 in WEH) was born 7 Jan 1840 (according to WEH) in Aveton Gifford (GRO), the son of 8. Robert Hingston and Mary Ann (March) and died 26 Jun 1917 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It seems that after his father died in 1850 he was placed in Kingsbridge workhouse where he is shown in the 1851 census aged 11 while his mother and sisters were in the Old Poor House in Aveton Gifford. He married JOHANNA RATCHFORD 5 Apr 1872 in St Pauls Anglican Church, Halifax, Nova Scotia, daughter of Patrick Ratchford and Catherine Connor. According to the 1901 census he emigrated to Canada in 1870; in the Halifax Directory in 1880-81 he is shown as a "labourer" (family oral history suggests that most of his labouring work was on the docks, making him a stevedore). That continued until about 1898 (age 56). After that, he was listed as employed by the Intercontinental Railway (ICR) as a "Watchman" in some years and a "Flagman" in others (positions that didn't require great physical activity). It is suspected he had "pull" to obtain such jobs via his extended Irish family who were important in local and provincial Irish politics. That railway position continued until 1916 (74), at which time he was listed as a "Pensioner", before passing away the next year. The only fixed date for his birth is quoted in the 1901 census where he said he was born on 7 Jan 1842. In other records only an age is given and these give a range of dates of birth from about 1840 to 1843.
Peter Higginbotham has a website about Workhouses, with one page, including photographs, about the Kingsbridge Union Workhouse. The workhouse is nominally in Churchstow Parish but is physically in Kingsbridge.
Children of George Hingston and Johanna Ratchford are:
27. GEORGE HENRY HINGSTON (1548 in WEH) was born 23 July 1841 in Paignton (GRO) (WEH says in Aveton Gifford), the son of 10. George Hingston and Grace Hurrell, and died 3 March 1915. He married ELIZA MADGE 23 Jul 1864 - WEH says she was from Fonesham which I do not recognise.WEH says that he was a shoemaker by trade and had a shop on Rackwalk Steps Torquay where their sixteen children were born. The information about all this family supplied by John Walter <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- MARY ANN ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1566 in WEH) b. 14 Mar 1873, Halifax, Nova Scotia; d. 5 May 1880, Halifax, Nova Scotia (d.w.i.).
- 21. PATRICK JOSEPH HINGSTON.
- THOMAS HINGSTON, b. 1876, Halifax, Nova Scotia; d. (d.w.i.). (WEH shows a Thomas Hingston 1570 born 23 Apr 1882 - not clear whether these are two separate people).
- WINNIFRED HINGSTON (1568 in WEH) b. Oct 1878, Halifax, Nova Scotia; buried 24 Aug 1879, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- 78. JOHN JOSEPH HINGSTON.
- MARY ANN ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1571 in WEH who says she was born 8 Nov 1884 and died Feb 1886), b. 1881, Halifax, Nova Scotia; buried 24 Feb 1882, Halifax, Nova Scotia (d.w.i.). (It is possible there were two children both of whom died young)
- THOMAS FRANCIS HINGSTON (1570 in WEH) born 23 Apr 1882, married on 16 Nov 1904 BERTHA MARIE DAUPHINEE, (5 Aug 1881-18 Jun 1942), daughter of James and Josephine. He died 17 Mar 1946. Not listed by WEH and may be a confusion with Thomas born 1876 above.
- ROBERT HINGSTON (1572 in WEH) born 26 Nov 1886 and died Oct 1888.
- WILLIAM HINGSTON (1573 in WEH) b. 3 Jan 1890, Halifax, Nova Scotia; buried 1 Aug 1890, Halifax, Nova Scotia (d.w.i.).
Children of GEORGE HINGSTON and ELIZA MADGE are:
17. GEORGE HINGSTON (1235 in WEH) was baptised 7 Mar 1841 in Modbury, the son of 11. Thomas Hingston and Ann Cowley, and was buried 31 Jul 1930 in Aveton Gifford (supposedly aged 90). He married ELIZABETH HINGSTONE ELSON 18 Mar 1861 in Aveton Gifford, daughter of JAMES ELSON and CHARLOTTE HINGSTONE; she was born 26 Nov 1840 in Aveton Gifford and baptised there on 26 Dec 1841. Elizabeth Elson had a child about a year before the marriage who was later given the name Hingston, so is listed here, but it is not clear whether George was the father. George was a sailor, apparently on the "fruit boats" which were fast schooners that made the trip to the Azores and Madeira bringing fresh produce back to the UK.
- 28. JOHN RANDOLPH HINGSTON
- EDITH CAROL(INE) HINGSTON (1613 in WEH) b. 8 June 1866 (GRO), Paignton; d. 11 March 1960. She married EARNEST DENLEY 4 Oct 1891 and they had two children (Edith Caroline and Walter Arthur Ernest (1892-1893)
- ARTHUR MADGE HINGSTON (1614 in WEH), b. 10 March 1867, Paignton; d. 8 February 1888.
- 29. SYDNEY HINGSTON
- SARAH ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1616 in WEH), b. 31 December 1871, Upton, Torquay; m. WILLIAM HENRY VAIL Sep Qtr 1893 at Newton Abbot
- 30. GEORGE HINGSTON
- LEWIS PHILLIP HINGSTON (1618 in WEH), b. 25 July 1874, Upton, Torquay; d. 15 October 1874.
- LEWIS SAMUEL HINGSTON (1619 in WEH) b. 26 August 1875, Torquay; d. 27 November 1894.
- HELEN(A) GRACE HINGSTON (1620 in WEH) b. 17 November 1876, Torquay; d. 15 April 1877.
- JANE(T) ELIZA(BETH) HINGSTON (1621 in WEH) b. 12 May 1877 (FreeBMD shows most likely event as 1878), Torquay; d. 19 November 1959. She married PHILIP EDWIN BAKER and they had two children (Philip John Hingston and Janet). Jenny Mallinson <email@example.com> is the granddaughter of of Philip J H Baker.
- PHILIP MADGE HINGSTON (not shown in WEH or in FreeBMD and the dates of birth of the siblings are very close together - I have doubts about his existence), b. 11 January 1878, Torquay; d. 3 February 1879.
- 31. PHILLIP WILLCOCKS HINGSTON
- DAVID OSWALD HINGSTON (1623 in WEH) b. 22 April 1880, Torquay; d. 26 October 1960; m. SARAH JANE CLARK, 4 November 1903, St Lukes, Torquay.
- 32. NORMAN HICKS HINGSTON
- ALICE HELEN(A) HINGSTON (1625 in WEH) b. 27 March 1883.
- 33. WILLIAM EDGAR HINGSTON
- BESSIE BLANCH HINGSTON (1627 in WEH) b. 1887; d. 1888.
Child of Elizabeth Elson
Children of George Hingston and Elizabeth Elson are:
- 36. CHARLES HENRY (ELSON) HINGSTON (1241 in WEH) was born in 1859, and privately baptised at Aveton Gifford on 24 Feb 1860 when he was described as the child of Elizabeth Elson. He was not listed in George's will with the two surviving daughters, and my father, who knew George well and gave me the start of this tree did not appear to know anything about him. I therefore conclude that Charles was probably not George's son, although took his name from him. Charles would however have had Hingston ancestry through his maternal grandmother.
- CAROLINE ELSTON HINGSTON (1237 in WEH) privately baptised 6 Aug 1862, Aveton Gifford; d. 18 Mar 1940, Aveton Gifford (aged 77 - from MI). She married her second cousin once removed, WILLIAM CLARK, son of William Hingston Clark and Sarah Congdon Dec Qtr 1887. He was baptised 11 Mar 1866 in Aveton Gifford, and died 10 Mar 1955 in Aveton Gifford, aged 89 (MI). William Hingston Clark was the son of Prudence Hingston and grandson of 3. William Hingston. Caroline and William had one child, FLORENCE BEATRICE CLARK, b. Mar 1888, Aveton Gifford; d. 15 Aug 1945, Aveton Gifford, who married Charles William Burgoyne.
- 22. ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON.
- ROSINA HINGSTON (1239 in WEH) baptised 5 Jul 1869, Aveton Gifford; died 14 Nov 1869, Aveton Gifford.
- MARY ROSINA HINGSTON (1240 in WEH) privately baptised 6 Nov 1876, Aveton Gifford and died the same day.
72. ROBERT HINGSTON (1526 in WEH) born 26 Feb 1854 (GRO), Aveton Gifford, the son of 11. Thomas Hingston and Ann(Cowley). He married 13 Jul 1876 ELIZA JEFFERY of Modbury. She was a widow, having been born Eliza Partridge, and married William Henry Jeffrey Jun Qtr 1869 but he died age 25 at Kingsbridge in Jun Qtr 1871. The 1891 census at Traine Terrace, Modbury, shows Robert Hingston age 34, (so born ~1857) Agent & Labourer, born Aveton Gifford and Eliza age 41, Charwoman, born Chudleigh, Devon.
Their children were:-
- ELIZABETH ANN HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Mar Qtr 1877 (Eliza in the census)
- IRENA BEATRICE J HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Sep Qtr 1879
- JOHN THOMAS HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Dec Qtr 1880 (Thomas in the census)
- FLORENCE EMILY HINGSTON born Bedminster Jun Qtr 1882
- ETHEL MARY HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Sep Qtr 1884
- JOHN ROBERT HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Mar Qtr 1886
- ETHEL MARY JANE HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Sep Qtr 1889
- GERTRUDE LILY HINGSTON born Kingsbridge Dec Qtr 1891
Generation No. 11
60. WILLIAM THOMAS HINGSTON (1311 in WEH) a farmer, born in Loddiswell 5 Feb 1858, son of 58. John Hingston and Sarah (Lidstone) and married 26 Apr 1883 JAMIMA KING of the same place.
- SYLVIA ELLEN HINGSTON (1323 in WEH) born in Loddiswell 15 July 1884.
- ELIZA KING HINGSTON (1324 in WEH) Born 24 Sep 1885.
- ANNE MARIA HINGSTON (1325 in WEH) Born 28 Jan 1887.
- EMMA GAY HINGSTON (1326 in WEH) Born 4 April 1888.
- CAROLINE MAY HINGSTON (1327 in WEH) Born 9 July 1890.
- GEORGE KING HINGSTON (1328 in WEH) Born 5 Mar 1892, died 25 Mar 1893.
61. JOHN HINGSTON (1312 in WEH) born 18 Dec 1859 son of 58. John Hingston and Sarah (Lidstone), and married 31 Oct 1889 to ROSINA BASANT of Pittsburg Pa USA.
- ADA MAY HINGSTON (1332 in WEH) born at Pittsburg Pa USA 28 Apr 1891.
62. ALFRED HINGSTON (1315 in WEH) born 13 Aug 1865 son of 58. John Hingston and Sarah (Lidstone) and married the 15 May 1891 LAVINIA JANE GUEST.
- LOUISA LAVINIA HINGSTON (1329 in WEH).
- ALFRED JOHN HINGSTON (1330 in WEH).
- EDWIN HAROLD HINGSTON (1331 in WEH).
71. WILLIAM JOHN HINGSTON born 1 Nov 1868, the son of 70. William Henry Hingston and Mary Elizabeth (Magor). He is believed to be the William John Hingston who married EMMA CAROLINE GRIFFITHS Dec Qtr 1890 at Plymouth. If this is the correct marriage, William and Emma were cousins, because their mutual grandparents were Mary Jane Vennen and Benjamin Griffiths. William and Emma died in Calgary in the 1930s.
The children of William and Emma were:-
- MARY EMILY HINGSTON born Plymouth Sep 1891 (GRO)
- WILLIAM JOHN HINGSTON born Plymouth Sep 1892 (GRO) (presumably died)
- PERCY HAROLD HINGSTON born Plymouth Dec 1894 (twin?) (GRO)
- STANLEY HINGSTON born Plymouth Dec 1894 (twin?) (GRO) (to Calgary) Died in Vancouver
- WILLIAM JOHN HINGSTON born Plymouth Dec 1896 (GRO) (to Calgary)
- FRANCIS HENRY HINGSTON born Plymouth Mar 1899 (GRO) (to Calgary)
- WINIFRED ALEXANDRA born 1902 (to Calgary)
77. GEORGE HENRY LAVERS HINGSTON (1532 in WEH), baptised 13 Oct 1872, Aveton Gifford, the son of 19. John Henry Hingston and Caroline (Lavers). He married ETTIE PARTRIDGE Jun 1897 at Stoke Damerel. She was probably Hettie Gear Partridge born Pancras in 1878 (so only 19 at marriage). (What does the 1901 census say?)
- ELSIE VIVIANA HINGSTON born Stoke Damerel Sep 1898
- ETTIE VIOLA HINGSTON born Devonport Mar 1900
59. RICHARD ISAAC HINGSTON (1644 in WEH) of Bigbury, now of Plymouth, born 5 Nov 1853 the son of 57. Phillip Terry Hingston and Elizabeth Brend and married HELEN ANN ATWILL of Plymouth Dec Qtr 1878. He was in business at Plymouth as a stone and marble cutter. His shops were at Pennycomequick and apparently doing a good business in 1906 according to WEH.
- WILLIAM GEORGE HINGSTON (1663 in WEH) born at Plymouth 8 Sept 1879.
- RICHARD ATWILL HINGSTON (1664 in WEH) born 3 June 1882.
- ALICE ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1665 in WEH) born 22 May 1883, twin with her sister Mary.
- MARY BRENDA HINGSTON (1666 in WEH) twin with the above but died when five days old.
20. PHILIP TERRY HINGSTON (1642 in WEH) was baptised 11 Apr 1852 the son of 15. John Hingston and Mary (Beer). Married 28 Feb 1874 MARTHA LEIGH of Aveton Gifford.
- GEORGE HENRY HINGSTON (1654 in WEH) of Bigbury born 23 Feb 1877.
- RANDOLPH JOSEPH LEIGH HINGSTON (1655 in WEH) born 3 Nov 1879.
- LILIAN EMMA LEIGH HINGSTON (1656 in WEH) born 26 Nov 1880 died 31 Aug 1881.
- LUCY ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1657 in WEH) born 31 Oct 1884.
- SYDNEY JOHN HINGSTON (1658 in WEH) born 31 Oct 1884.
- MAUD MARY HINGSTON (1659 in WEH) born 12 Nov 1886.
- ALICE GRACE HINGSTON (1660 in WEH) born 8 Mar 1899.
- EMMA LEIGH HINGSTON (1661 in WEH) born 20 Jan 1892.
- MARY LEIGH HINGSTON (1662 in WEH) born 23 June 1895.
35. RICHARD HENRY BASSETT HINGSTON (1220 in WEH), (born Sep Qtr, Kingsbridge District) Modbury, the son of 34. John March Hingston and Ann (Bassett). He married ROSA TUCKER, in the Sep Qtr 1892, Kingsbridge District. She had been born about 1872 in Kingsbridge, the daughter of Richard Tucker and Hannah (Hannaford). Richard joined the Navy and died on 25 Apr 1916 when the submarine E22 was torpedoed by the German U-boat UB-18 off Great Yarmouth. She had been involved in experiments to intercept Zeppelins on 24 April 1916 for which she carried two Sopwith Schneider seaplanes on her casing (photo). The boat would then submerge in calm waters and the planes would float on the surface from which they could take off, later returning to the East coast of England at Felixstowe. The trials were not successful. There were two survivors who were taken prisoner by the German U-Boat and become Prisoners of War. According to living memories, Richard and Rosa had several children before he died. Rosa then married his brother, George (Mar Qtr 1823 in Newton Abbot) and had further children.
He is listed on the CWGC site and his name is inscribed on the Plymouth Naval Memorial.
The children of Richard and Rosa include the following (who were all born before Richard died). There are believed to have been 11 children, some of whom died young, but that number may include some of the children of George and Rosa:-
- RICHARD HINGSTON, born 1892 (probably the Richard Henry B Hingston born Dec1892, Kingsbridge district)
- IVY FLORA HINGSTON, born Jun Qtr 1895, Kingsbridge District. She married, before 1912, CHARLES BASSETT GOSLING, born 1893, Plympton. Their daughter, Phyllis, was grandmother of Amanda Curry <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- NETTA HINGSTON, born Dec Qtr 1896, Kingsbridge District
- DORIS WINIFRED HINGSTON, born Jun Qtr 1898, Kingsbridge District (there was also an ETHEL MAY HINGSTON, birth registered on the previous page - possible twin?)
- NORAH ALICE HINGSTON, born Mar Qtr 1900, Kingsbridge District.
- LILIAN ROSE HINGSTON, 1901
- GEORGE HINGSTON, possibly 1905
- CYRIL HINGSTON, possibly 1906
- NANCY HINGSTON, born 1914, Kingsbridge. (Known to be the youngest, and 18 months younger than her niece, Ivy's daughter)
74. ROBERT (HICKS) HINGSTON was born in Brixham in Sep Qtr 1871, the son of 73. Robert Hicks Hingston and Celia (Hyne) and married MAHALA BLAKE at Totnes Jun 1892. In 1901 census Robert age 29 (born 1872) Machine Minder Paint works born Brixham; Mahala wife age 32 born Dartmouth, William son age 7 born Dartmouth, Celia mother age 51 widow born Brixham and Lilian niece age 3 born Dartmouth.
- FLORENCE MAUD HINGSTON born Totnes Jun Qtr 1892
- WILLIAM ROBERT HINGSTON born Dartmouth Dec Qtr 1893
- WINIFRED MAHALA HINGSTON born Totnes Sep Qtr 1898
75. WILLIAM GEORGE HINGSTON born Brixham ~1873 the son of 73. Robert Hicks Hingston and Celia (Hyne) and married FLORENCE JANE MOCK Dec Qtr 1896 in Barnstaple District, possibly at Ilfracombe. In 1901 he was 27, living in Brixham and working in a Paint Factory, born Brixham; Florence, 27, born Ilfracombe William G 2, born Brixham.
- LILIAN MAUD HINGSTON born Sep Qtr 1897 at Barnstaple, probably died Totnes district in 1898.
- WILLIAM G HINGSTON born ~1899 Brixham (from census)
- FLORENCE JANE HINGSTON born Jun Qtr 1901 Totnes
- FREDERICK CHARLES born Sep Qtr 1903 Totnes
- ROBERT HICKS boorn Mar Qtr 1906 Totnes
- SYDNEY JOHN HINGSTON born Jun Qtr 1909 Totnes
21. PATRICK JOSEPH HINGSTON (1567 in WEH) was born 26 Nov 1874 in Low Point, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, the son of 16. George Hingston and Johanna (Ratchford) and died 5 Feb 1957 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He married FLORENCE DUFFIELD 23 Sep 1902 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, daughter of John Duffield and Johanna Weston.
Children of Patrick Hingston and Florence Duffield are:
- 23. HAROLD WILFRED HINGSTON, b. 19 Sep 1903; d. 1 Apr 1983, both at Halifax. (Issue)
- 24. FREDERICK HINGSTON, b. 19 Jun 1906; d. 1980. (Issue)
- IRENE MARY HINGSTON, b. 13 Sep 1910 Halifax; d. 28 Jun 1986 Ottawa; m. H L ROSS SMYTH.
78. JOHN JOSEPH HINGSTON (1569 in WEH), b. 5 Aug 1880, Halifax, Nova Scotia, the son of 16. George Hingston and Johanna (Ratchford). He was employed as a yardsman on the railway from 22 Sep 1904 and retired 31 Dec 1942 as a Assistant General Yardmaster. He died on 1 Dec.1947. On 29 Oct 1913 in Halifax he married MARY AGNES COUGHLIN, the daughter of Michael Coughlin (a stonecutter) and Annie Sarah Bauman. She was then aged 20 and died 1971 in Halifax aged 78.
Children of John Joseph Hingston and Mary Coughlin are
- MURIEL JEAN HINGSTON married James Gordon MacQuarrie. One of their children is Betty Melik <email@example.com>.
- ANNE MASON HINGSTON
- WILFRED GORDON HINGSTON married Eva
- JOHN JOSEPH HINGSTON married Cassie
28. JOHN RANDOLPH HINGSTON (1612 in WEH) was born 20 April 1865 in Torquay, the son of 27. George Henry Hingston and Eliza (Madge), and died 1 January 1907. He was a warrant officer on one of HM Ships. Has charge of the electric works and installing the wireless telegraphy on all boats. He married 16 Jul 1885 ALICE MAUDE YEO.
Children of JOHN HINGSTON and ALICE YEO are:
29. SYDNEY HURRELL HINGSTON (1615 in WEH) was born 25 February 1869 in Paignton, the son of 27. George Henry Hingston and Eliza (Madge). He married 4 Dec 1888 ANNIE WALKER, the daughter of John Walker and Elizabeth Cave. The family were living in London but shortly after the birth of Ida they moved to Torquay where Sydney died 12 May 1897. Annie subsequently married his brother 30. George.
- FREDERICK RANDOLPH YEO HINGSTON (1646 in WEH) born 18 Jan 1889.
- EDITH ALICE HINGSTON (1647 in WEH) born 21 Apr 1895.
- CHARLES ALBERT JAMES HINGSTON (1648 in WEH) born 11 Oct 1897.
- EDGAR HENRY GEORGE HINGSTON (1649 in WEH) born at Devonport 13 Feb 1899.
Children of SYDNEY HINGSTON and ANNIE are:
30. GEORGE HENRY HINGSTON (1617 in WEH) was born 5 September 1873 in Upton, Torquay, the son of 27. George Henry Hingston and Eliza (Madge), and died 3 June 1959. He married 4 Mar 1898 ANNIE HINGSTON (nee WALKER), widow of his brother.
- ARTHUR ERNEST HINGSTON (1650 in WEH) born 12 Dec 1899 (FreeBMD says Mar Qtr 1889) in Paddington..
- ETHEL AGNES HINGSTON (1651 in WEH) 26 Dec 1890 in Marylebone, died 18 Jan 1894, Kensington.
- SYDNEY HURRELL HINGSTON (not shown in WEH) born and died Mar Qtr 1893 Marylebone.
- IDA MAY HINGSTON. (1652 in WEH) born 31 May 1895 Marylebone.
Children of GEORGE HINGSTON and ANNIE HINGSTON are:
31. PHILLIP WILLCOCKS HINGSTON (1622 in WEH) was born 17 March 1879 in Torquay, the son of 27. George Henry Hingston and Eliza (Madge), and died 6 February 1921. He married ALICE SIMS.
- LEWIS SYDNEY HINGSTON (1653 in WEH) born at Torquay 31 Oct 1898.
- LOUISE HINGSTON.
- GEORGE HINGSTON.
- ANNIE HINGSTON.
- DOROTHY HINGSTON.
- ETHEL HINGSTON.
Children of PHILLIP HINGSTON and ALICE SIMS are:
- PHILIP JOHN HINGSTON (1930 in WEH) of Torquay, born 25 August 1903, and died 13 October 1903.
- JACK HINGSTON.
- ERNIE HINGSTON.
32. NORMAN HICKS HINGSTON (1624 in WEH) was born 11 December 1881 in Torquay, the son of 27. George Henry Hingston and Eliza (Madge), and died 10 October 1918 in The Somme. Buried Roisel Churchyard, France. He married 30 Jul 1900 ELIZABETH WESTLAKE.
Children of NORMAN HINGSTON and ELIZABETH WESTLAKE are:
33. WILLIAM EDGAR HINGSTON (1626 in WEH) was born 18 March 1885, the son of 27. George Henry Hingston and Eliza (Madge), and died 19 April 1973. He married JESSIE ELIZABETH TOWILL 30 April 1908 in St Johns Church Torquay. WEH reported that in Feb 1906 he was an Able Seaman on HMS Niobe at Devonport.
- JANET ELIZABETH HINGSTON (1689 in WEH), b. 12 Nov 1900.
- FLORENCE MADGE HINGSTON, b. 1901.
- HILDA MAUDE HINGSTON, b. 15 January 1903; d. 21 April 1991.
- WILLIAM NORMAN HINGSTON, b. 1904; d. 1955; m. ELSIE FRANKLYN.
- DAVID WESTLAKE HINGSTON, b. 1906, Torquay; d. 1987, Torbay Hospital.
- ADA ALICE HINGSTON, b. 1907; d. 1990.
- ALBERT ERNEST HINGSTON, b. 1908.
- MABEL ELLEN HINGSTON, b. 1909.
- NORMAN EDWARD HINGSTON, b. 1910; m. FLORENCE ?.
- ETHEL GRACE HINGSTON, b. 1912.
- FRANK HENRY HINGSTON, b. 1916.
Children of WILLIAM HINGSTON and JESSIE TOWILL are:
36. CHARLES HENRY (ELSON) HINGSTON (1241 in WEH) was born in 1859, and privately baptised at Aveton Gifford on 24 Feb 1860 when he was described as the child of Elizabeth Elson. In the 1861 census he is shown as living with James Elson (his grandfather) when he was described as a nephew. Elizabeth married 17. George Hingston on 18 Mar 1861 (just before the census on 7th April). In the 1871 census he is shown as part of the family of George and Elizabeth, and with the Hingston name which he clearly used later in life and passed on to his own family. In 1871 he is shown as a stone breaker, aged 11, but later he is shown as a carpenter. Charles married ELIZABETH SPRY in June Qtr 1889 in Plymouth (there was another marriage in Plymouth of a Charles Henry Hingston in June Qtr 1895). Charles died in Plymouth in 1933 aged 73 but no death record has yet been found for Elizabeth.
- WILLIAM EDGAR HINGSTON, b. 27 January 1909, died 1985. .Mark Hingston <firstname.lastname@example.org> is his grandson.
- PHYLIS ROSE HINGSTON, b. 21 October 1918, Torquay.
Children of CHARLES HENRY HINGSTON and ELIZABETH SPRY are:
22. ELIZABETH JANE HINGSTON (1238 in WEH) was baptised privately on 13 Jan 1866 in Aveton Gifford, the daughter of 17. George Hingston and Elizabeth (Elson). She married STEVEN THOMAS SAUNDERS 28 Mar 1891 in Aveton Gifford, by which time she had already had a son who was born in 1885 (when she would have been 19) but who died aged 5 weeks. There is another Elizabeth Jane Hingston who could have been the mother (the daughter of 19. John Henry and Caroline) but she would only have been 14 at the time the child was born. It is probably worth finding the child in the 1891 census to try to confirm which Elizabeth was the mother.
- GERTRUDE HINGSTON born 1890 in Plymouth
- FREDERICK HINGSTON born 1893 (not shown in FreeBMD)
- BERTIE HENRY HINGSTON born 1896 in Plymouth
- BEATTY HINGSTON
Child of Elizabeth Hingston is:
Children of Elizabeth Hingston and Steven Saunders are:
- CHARLES HENRY SEWARD HINGSTON, born 7 Nov 1885, baptised 25 Nov 1885 and died 11 Dec the same year, all at Aveton Gifford.
- GERTIE SAUNDERS.
- REGINALD SAUNDERS, b. West Charleton; m. CHRISTINE.
The public version of this tree terminated here for reasons of privacy.
Go to the Hingston One-Name Study Page
This page updated 24 Aug 2018, C J Burgoyne.